For someone as beauty and product obsessed as I am it strikes me as odd that I don't talk about it here more often. I could probably fill a small suitcase with all my cosmetics, and I woud have trouble parting with any of it if it came down to it. On the other hand, at any given moment in time I'm probably only using a handful of products. I go through phases of absolute obsession, and then suddenly I will look in the mirror and realize, That blush is all wrong. Luckily there's usually something else in my drawer to replace it and freshen up my morning routine. For now, for the summer-to-fall transition, these are my go-to products. Just a little complexion cleaning, a touch of color on the cheeks, and fairly neutral eyes. Nothing that screams makeup, but still a bit more polished than those hot summer days we're leaving behind.
See the details...
1. Nars Eyeshadow Duo in Madrague - the perfect neutral shadows, a little vanilla to brighten and a touch of caramel in the crease for definition. Also if I'm feeling a little Helena Bonham Carter (in my head, I actually don't look anything like her), I'll use the darker color under my lower lashes too, sort of round out my eyes a bit.
2. Sephora Collection Eyeshadow Brush #23 - perfect for creating sort of a smoky halo especially under your lower lid. Great for when you want more than a line, less than a wash.
3. Stila Eyeshadow in Golightly - the best subtle bronze shadow ever
4. MAC Small Angle Brush #263 - perfect for brows
5. MAC Eyeshadow in Concrete - a slightly ashy medium brown that's perfect for brows
6. Sephora Collection Crease Brush #13 - does what it says, softly
7. Make Up For Ever HD Microfinish Powder - used to think this turned me a whiter shade of ghostly, but then Anya helped me realize you have to use so little you can't even see it on the brush. The result is a natural matte that allows your skin to show through. Truly feels like a light photoshopping.
8. Nars Illuminator in Orgasm - mine is a (generous) sample from sephora, but you can bet I'm going to get some more when it runs out. Just a dab on the cheekbones and I look more alive.
9. Burberry Sheer Luminous Fluid Foundation - I used to be an Armani foundation girl (LSF, Face Fabric), and have dabbled in Chanel, but this stuff is even better. I don't wear it all over, using it instead as a concealer, and with the help of the brush listed below, it blends totally seamlessly. Magic.
10. Make Up For Ever Aqua Eyes Pencil Liner in Dark Grey 21L - this liner really stays put, even on the waterline and lashline, which is where it looks its smudgy best. The color is a deep pewter, much softer than black but still perfect for a messy morning after look.
11. Make Up For Ever Kabuki Brush - I got this because it was soft. Period. Total impulse buy. Turns out it works great with the HD powder, as long as you don't use too much (see note above). Plus it feels ridiculously luscious against your skin.
12. Sephora Collection Pro Airbrush Concealer brush #57 - possibly the most magical brush I own. I use it with the tiniest dabs of foundation as concealer and it blends it so seamlessly and perfectly. Way better than fingers ever could. Plus it feels damn good,
13. Giorgio Armani Sheer Blush in #5 Beige Violet - similar to MAC's Strada (now discontinued) but with a finer texture, it looks dead in the pan but goes on incredibly natural, and somehow manages to contour and add color all at once. I don't know how it does it, it just does.
14. Benefit Slant Powder Brush - I've had mine for approximately a zillion years and use it for blush, not powder. I suppose one day it will die, but for now, it gets the job done
Do you use any of these products? Do you rotate through your favorites? (Are you a hoarder too?)